What are dangerous and toxic foods for dogs ?

  What are dangerous and toxic foods for dogs?

What are dangerous and toxic foods for dogs?

It is sometimes difficult to resist the imploring gaze of your dog when you are at the table, and you can quickly indulge in sharing a little of your meal with him... However, there are foods that we all eat days and which can be toxic or even fatal for your companion, even if he loves it.

So be careful not to give in when he's making sweet eyes, and to keep all food out of his reach in your absence. A gluttony accident quickly happened! Here is a list of dangerous foods for dogs, some of which can lead to serious health problems.


It is the "number one" enemy food for the dog. Indeed, chocolate is a real poison that can be fatal to it due to the presence of theobromine, a component that stimulates and disrupts the heart rate. In other words, in case of excessive ingestion, theobromine will increase heartbeats or make them irregular, possibly even causing the death of the animal... Thus, chocolate poisoning causes hyperactivity but can also cause diarrhea and vomiting, resulting in dangerous dehydration. Acute poisoning can be expected from 200 g of dark chocolate or 500 g of milk chocolate for a 10 kg dog. However,

The cooked bones

We all have in mind the image of a dog gnawing its bone with delight... And yet, these can be extremely dangerous after cooking! Indeed, if they break they can form splinters that risk perforating the stomach and the intestines of the animal. They can also get stuck in the teeth and cause damage to the mouth and esophagus. The most brittle bones, and therefore the most dangerous, come from poultry (chicken, turkey), duck, and rabbit. We will thus avoid giving them to his dog, even raw, because the risk that they break is always present, and we will proscribe any cooked bone made brittle by cooking. On the other hand, the cartilage does not present a risk and it is possible to give a beef bone (marrow bone) preferably raw.

The alcohol

This substance can alter your dog's behavior and, at high doses, cause serious disorders of the nervous system and cardiac functions. More precisely, the ethanol contained in the alcohol is toxic for the dog (as for us…): the fatal dose is 15 ml per kilo or 150 ml for a dog of 10 kilos. The consumption of a small dose of alcohol can also make the dog aggressive and nervous, so pay attention to your glass bottoms, especially if the drink is sweet (punch, cocktails) which risks arousing his gluttony... Finally, alcohol is not only present in alcoholic drinks, but also in fermented fruit and raw bread dough!

Garlic and onions

Both of these foods are toxic to dogs due to the presence of organosulfur compounds capable of causing the destruction of red blood cells. Related plants such as shallot, chives, and leek also have some toxicity. If the garlic contains an additional toxic substance, thiosulphate, large quantities must be ingested to cause severe poisoning. On the other hand, the onion has higher toxic power and can chronically poison the dog, being able to go until causing its death, in the event of repeated ingestion of small amounts.


Raw potatoes are toxic because they contain calcium oxalate, a substance that can cause urinary tract disorders (kidneys, bladder). The baked potato, on the other hand, can be given without risk of poisoning but nevertheless has the potential for constipation, and could cause an intestinal blockage or even an occlusion if it has not been crushed or chewed.


Sodium chloride, or table salt, can cause serious poisoning if ingested in large quantities, for example in crisps, crackers, peanuts, or cold cuts. This substance causes digestive and neurological disorders that are sometimes irreversible, especially if the dog has not drunk enough. The toxic dose is reached between 2 and 3 grams of salt per kilo and the lethal dose is 4 grams per kilo. For example, for a 10-kilo dog, 20 grams of salt ingested is dangerous and 40 grams will put him in mortal danger. Pay particular attention to salty foods from the industry: charcuterie, meats, sausages, smoked salmon, preserves, olives, etc.

Some fruits and vegetables

Yes, fruits and vegetables are recommended for our health but not necessarily for that of our canine companions! Indeed, some of them have a high degree of toxicity, such as grapes, plums, pears, apricots, cherries, and avocados. Mushrooms should also be avoided, as, like humans, they can be poisonous and/or toxic if eaten raw. Thus, we are not talking here about button mushrooms but rather about those that your dog could have to nibble during a walk in the forest... Finally, certain dried fruits such as cashew nuts and macadamia nuts are very dangerous, which can lead to convulsions and paralysis. As a precaution, all nuts should be avoided because they are often poorly digested by the dog.

Lactose (cow's milk)

Cow's milk is poorly tolerated by the adult dog, so it is better to avoid giving him all kinds of dairy products such as cheese, yogurt, cream, and ice cream - the cold presents an additional danger for his stomach! Thus, even if they love these foods, our dog friends are lactose intolerant, which causes vomiting and diarrhea in them. It is possible to give lactose-free milk or small amounts of butter or fresh cream, which are lower in lactose. Nevertheless, the consumption must remain very occasional because it is a fatty product.

Egg white

Unlike egg yolk, which is nutritious and recommended for occasional consumption, egg white is toxic to dogs because it contains avidin, a nutrient capable of destroying vitamin B8, which is essential for the proper functioning. of metabolism. Thus, it is necessary to separate the whites from the yolk if you want to give your dog a little pleasure: for example, he will safely enjoy an egg yolk mixed with his croquettes from time to time.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post